SoftRAID 6.3.2 b8 d...

Notifications
Clear all

SoftRAID 6.3.2 b8 doesn't mount the SR partitions at all, with Ventura - MacOS beta 6 (22A5331f)

26 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

@henry-in-florida 

You know you cannot have two drivers controlling the same disk? Just in case you missed that.

You cannot have Apple RAID and Disk Utility controlling the same disks, for example. So your non RAID volume, if the drive is used with SoftRAID, can be non RAID, but only SoftRAID format.

Posted : 10/09/2022 10:52 pm
Henry-In-Florida
(@henry-in-florida)
Topic starter

Posted by: @softraid-support

@henry-in-florida 

You know you cannot have two drivers controlling the same disk? Just in case you missed that.

You cannot have Apple RAID and Disk Utility controlling the same disks, for example. So your non RAID volume, if the drive is used with SoftRAID, can be non RAID, but only SoftRAID format.

@softraid-support

Got it. I seem to have a problem stating the problem and finding a way forward here.

Restating the problems, so we're clear... My first roadblock (thanks, Apple!) is gaining access to archive my data:

• The drive was working fine pre-M1 as a SoftRAID, non-Raided volume and single associated drive originally formatted as an APFS partitioned (external) device. I was simply using it as a backup device back when I could mount it in the OS. That status seems to be happenstance as far as Apple is concerned. That's how I got into this mess. 
  • In order to read the (CCC backup) data on the drive now in the OS in which it was created, would need to be logged into the same OS. I do not think any version of Ventura would allow me access to it on any M1 machine as an EXTERNAL drive. 
  • So it can't be copied or read or cloned in a readable form in any way by a previous OS due to the above. 

According to what's been stated here, borne out by what I've tried thus far, it's ONLY external media formatted outside of Apple that are affected - both now and in the future.

In Ventura an external drive, a startup drive formatted in a certain way all in Apple works. in my testing in a start-up device formatted by Apple booted on an M1 loads fine now. I assume that will continue to work. Will it? Other non-Apple formatted devices, E.G. SoftRaid 6.3.2, will not (now or in the future?) appear on the desktop. I'm simply trying to confirm this with you, as you stated. You stated there is no way forward on this as far as you can tell, right? 

My way forward seems to be to use SoftRAID ONLY on an internally formatted startup (if that?) and use only APFS formatted external devices as externals in Ventura as Apple gets away from unrecognized third party formatted devices for "Security" concerns. I might need some other kind of storage IF I ever want to use an external boot drive for new OS testing ever again. 

Does that seem an accurate statement of the issues to you?

Macbook Pro 14" Retina 2021 M1 Pro internal 1TB storage, 32GB RAM, MacOS 14.4.1, running v8.0 SoftRAID software; Local RAID drives/enclosures: 4M2 OWC Enclosure with 6TB NMe, RAID4 Storage; two external OWC T3 enclosures (2.5TB online storage) populated with JBOD 6x500GB, EVO SSD, RAID 4 array disks/partitions;

Posted : 11/09/2022 6:11 am
Henry-In-Florida
(@henry-in-florida)
Topic starter

@softraid-support

I think I have a way to copy my data while logged into MacOS12.5.1 internal user account. Whether that data integrity will be preserved when the old SoftRAID drive formatting is replaced (assuming it even can be replaced as you described) to make that a APFS totally Apple format remains to be seen. I'll keep you posted here. First the copy, then the reformat and lastly, restore. 

For the copy I decided to use Retrospect which simply is a sector by sector drive copy (not involving the Finder or looking at file integrity in the OS). Hopefully a reformat of the drive will succeed in DU, then the exact copy of data for the restore to follow.

Macbook Pro 14" Retina 2021 M1 Pro internal 1TB storage, 32GB RAM, MacOS 14.4.1, running v8.0 SoftRAID software; Local RAID drives/enclosures: 4M2 OWC Enclosure with 6TB NMe, RAID4 Storage; two external OWC T3 enclosures (2.5TB online storage) populated with JBOD 6x500GB, EVO SSD, RAID 4 array disks/partitions;

Posted : 11/09/2022 7:03 am
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

A volume is just a container, so you can copy data from one to another, no problem, there are no other considerations based on what driver controls the disks underneath the volume.

You are guaranteed that a bootable external volume will continue to work in Ventura. Next OS, no guarantees. (either way)

For all anyone outside Apple knows, they may always allow external startup volumes. They may also start allowing drivers to load on external volumes. Its not something anyone outside Apple knows at this point.

One thing I need to clarify, as your messaging is not completely clear you understand. The SoftRAID driver loads on all internal startup volumes. So all external data volumes can mount, in Ventura and going forward. We are only discussing when booting from an external disk that there are currently driver loading problems.

Also, keep in mind that APFS enables multiple systems in the same container on internals, that can share space with your main volume. So there is additional flexibility in your internal drive.

Posted : 11/09/2022 8:12 am
Henry-In-Florida
(@henry-in-florida)
Topic starter

After erasing and deleting the volume in SoftRAID (couldn't do so in DU because it physically is a part of another SoftRAID partition), it still couldn't be formatted in DU because it drive reverts to a single partition which cannot be touched in DU since it's still formatted in SoftRAID as part of the array. Thought so. The 500GB can only be assigned in SoftRAID, I guess. So, having captured the data onto another drive, will try to restore from its backup on another drive in Ventura. 

Posted : 11/09/2022 8:38 am
(@mrfearless47)

Where is the current 6.3.2 beta located.  I'm running Ventura RC 1 (Beta 7).  Everything sorta works with 6.3 but if I try to launch the Softraid app itself, it tells me to downgrade to Monterey.

This post was modified 2 years ago by mrfearless47

Posted : 12/09/2022 2:17 pm
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

@mrfearless47 

http://www.softraid.com/sr_beta

Posted : 12/09/2022 3:34 pm
Henry-In-Florida
(@henry-in-florida)
Topic starter

We are only discussing when booting from an external disk that there are currently driver loading problems.

I get that. Do you have any alternative in future beta releases to address/work around the Apple "security issues provided in Ventura to allow your SoftRAID device on external array to mount as a data drive with Ventura. I'm sure you understand my poorly written request as relates to an external device running on an external startup drive. The external startup works fine as it is non-SoftRAID all the way. 

I have not applied your fix to an external formerly SoftRAID-formatted partition that doesn't mount in Ventura. But will attempt to do so. This obviously will have no bearing on the above problem. 

Can I assume that no beta SoftRAIDversion in the forseeable future will fix this? Would save time trying new ones or subscribing to the betas until you make some general announcement to the contrary (including the b11 latest release...). 

This post was modified 2 years ago by Henry-In-Florida

Posted : 16/09/2022 8:49 am
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

@henry-in-florida 

The inability to load third party drivers from external volumes on ARM computers is something that has to be "enabled" by Apple. All I can say is I hope this is fixed/changed. It would have to be enabled in a macOS release down the road.

Posted : 16/09/2022 9:48 am
Henry-In-Florida
(@henry-in-florida)
Topic starter

@henry-in-florida 

The inability to load third party drivers from external volumes on ARM computers is something that has to be "enabled" by Apple. All I can say is I hope this is fixed/changed. It would have to be enabled in a macOS release down the road.

Hope so, too. Put in my 2¢ with Apple (lowly user), hope you did as well. I called it re-enabled. Neither are probably correct in Apple-speak.

They should fix this and you should support it.

That said, I'm not spending extra money to leave SoftRAID in new storage devices, although I would trade my storage methodology to something blazing fast of appropriate size (3-4TB) and single device, eliminating the RAID storage for my online 30K files RAW Storage. RAID has proven flaky at 2.2TB and a burdensome expense. NvE comes to mind. Good luck find 4TB devices at something reasonable that fits in SATA III TB OWC enclosures, right?

Posted : 16/09/2022 10:32 am
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

@henry-in-florida 

There is a shortage of flash media, so prices will not fall for some time.

Posted : 16/09/2022 11:01 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:
close
open