Notifications
Clear all

I/0 Read Disk Error: 091A31A640859580

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@buckeyetsd)
Topic starter

I connected a brand new OWC ThunderBay with four brand new 4TB HD's in October.  I installed SoftRAID 6.2 and am using Mac OSX 12.0.1 (Monterey) and a thunderbolt cable.

Then, after about 1 month, I started getting a Read Disk Error with instructions: "At some time in the past, a SoftRAID disk encountered a read or write error.  please launch the SoftRAID application to determine which disk failed to read or write data correctly.  This disk should be replaced immediately.  Disk with error: disk0, SoftRAID ID: 091A31A640859580".

I launched the SoftRAID app and see that two HD's have I/o errors and am now waiting for the replacement HD's to arrive.  

My question, both these drives and the ThunderBay were brand new in October - did they really both die in just over a month of use?  

Is the ThunderBay or SOFTRaid really grinding HDs so hard that they should be dying this quickly?  

Note, I noticed the lights on the ThunderBay dance all the time nonstop so I'm not ruling out a faulty device and am trying to get some guidance from OWC as well.

SoftRAID Screenshot

Posted : 04/12/2021 1:11 pm
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

Attach a SoftRAID support file. IO errors, do not mean failing disks necessarily, it means there was an error on one or more disks.

Posted : 04/12/2021 2:36 pm
Share:
close
open