New RAID6 APFS volume
I used SoftRaid first many years ago … I can’t remember why, but remember it was great. Around SoftRAID 3 or 4. I’ve now bought a Thunderbay 4 so am using it again - SoftRAID 6 beta as I'm on Big Sur. I have a question in terms of how I’m planning to use it.
- I’ve set-up a RAID 5 volume with 4 x 8 TB HDDs (APFS)
- Now, I’ve decided for the sake of redundancy, that I should buy another Thunderbay 4 and 4 more x 8 TB HDDs
- Set-up a RAID 6 volume on the second Thunderbay 4 (APFS)
- That RAID 6 volume would be split into a 4 TB Time Machine partition (volume?) and the remainder as a single drive for other data
- Copy the data from the RAID 5 to the RAID 6
- Wipe the RAID 5 volume and then expand the RAID 6 to include the RAID 5 disks
Is that above achievable? Especially with APFS? I’m conscious the initial set-up needs to be correct otherwise things get painful!
Thanks very much,
Not yet. We do not support RAID 6 yet, that is just sample code. Wait until the read me states we support RAID 6.
And we do not support adding disks to a RAID volume to make it larger. Sorry
Thanks for responding. Apologies, I read the beta page that stated RAID 6 was in v6. I guess that's not in the beta?
So, when RAID 6 is ready, that sounds like I should prepare the 8 disk RAID 6 RAID, in addition to the existing 4 disk RAID 5, then transfer data from the RAID 5 to RAID 6? Obviously that's a decent outlay, so would be good to know if there's another option?
RAID 6 "will" be available. We only have working sample code at present, which we are removing access to in the next beta. We will put it back when we have it working. thanks!
Makes sense. Thanks for your help.