Mac Studio + 2 x Th...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Mac Studio + 2 x Thunderbay 4 continued issues

(@carynorton)
Active Member

I know these kernel panics are a known issue but the workarounds are not working for me in a lasting way. Yesterday I was able to get both Thunderbay 4 enclosures to mount (individually did the remove-disk, wait 5 minute technique, one after the other) and I thought I was stable enough but I had a panic overnight some time. I submitted the issue to Apple before I could copy the log, but I can easily get the panic again if I just plug the arrays back in before rebooting. 

I'm currently running SoftRAID 6.3.2 b11 (same driver version) and I'm on macOS 12.6. No other external drives connected at this point. I just removed a drive from TB4 number 1 and plugged it in in hopes of the best. Also for what it's worth, they are daisy-chained together, not individually connected to the Mac Studio.

 

The Mac Studio was migrated to from my previous Intel system (iMac Pro) and I know that's an issue. I don't have the capacity to transfer 30+ TB off each drive to re-stripe them to 64k. I'm just hoping someone has a suggestion for something I've missed in reading these forum posts. 

 

Thanks

Quote
Topic starter Posted : 29/09/2022 10:56 am
(@carynorton)
Active Member

Following up with a brand new log from when my machine just panic'd after being posted with 2 x Thunderbay enclosures mounted (5-minute-drive-pull method) for about 6 hours. DART error present, obviously. 

 

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xfffffe00304430a0): "dart-apciec3 (0xfffffe2020596000): DART(DART) error: SID 1 write protect exception on write of DVA

 

This post was modified 2 months ago by SoftRAID Support
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 29/09/2022 3:31 pm
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

@carynorton 

Please do not throw huge blobs of text into a post. Attach it as a text edit file. (Make plain text, so you can attach it, we do not accept rtf as attachments)

 

The next option for you is start testing the Ventura beta. Its only a month out, so if you are an early adopter type, its about stable as it is going to get.

You have the option to create a new volume inside your startup volume/container, so you ahve two systems, and can go back to Monterey any time you want, while you test out Ventura.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/09/2022 12:26 am
(@carynorton)
Active Member

@softraid-support my apologies. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/09/2022 9:46 am
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

@carynorton 

No problem. txt is so much better for the forum. if you cannot wait for Ventura, then use the pull a drive trick before connecting, for the next month.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/09/2022 9:55 pm
(@carynorton)
Active Member

@softraid-support I went ahead and did the public beta yesterday and so far so good I think. No kernel panic so far.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/10/2022 5:52 am
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

@carynorton

 

It seems that if this is not fixed 100% in Ventura, at least is it >90% fixed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/10/2022 11:33 am
Share:
close
open