Volume does not Mount
I am experiencing a problem with softraid and cannot mount my main volume. I am running XT on an iMac running Catalina with 6 disks in an OWC Thunderbay 6 and it's been working for a few years now. Yesterday, I installed softraid on my MacBook and tried to use the same serial number for use with an older owc thunderbay iv which did not come with softraid. I didn't realise the serial number was bound to the machine. I bought another copy of softraid xt and installed one serial number on each machine. After rebooting, my main volume in the newer Thunderbay 6 would not mount. I try to mount it from the softraid app, it tries to mount but goes back to unmounted after a minute or so. The volume shows in the list and there are no errors.
How can I trouble shoot this?
Attach a SoftRAID tech support file and I can take a look at what is causing the problem.
I already did in my original post
Do you have access to Disk Warrior?
It appears the directory was slightly damaged (especially on the mainstore volume) and when macOS attempted to repair it, the process failed and left the volume marked unmountable.
Disk Warrior should be able to repair the directory.
thanks for getting back to me. Yes I did try to repair it with Disk Utility and failed.
I have tried diskwarrior. Here is a report:
DiskWarrior has successfully built a new directory for the disk named "MAINSTORE." The new directory cannot replace the original directory because the original directory was too severely damaged.
It is highly recommended that you backup all of your data from the preview disk.
The original directory is severely damaged and it was necessary to scavenge the directory to find file and folder data.
Some file and folder data may be missing, and some files that had been lost or thrown away may have been recovered.
The disk was not mounted prior to rebuilding. Only the preview disk will appear if you preview the replacement directory.
Optimizing the Catalog Tree Directory File has increased available disk space.
Comparison of the original and replacement directories could not be performed because the original directory was too severely damaged. It is recommended that you preview the replacement directory.
• All errors in the directory structure such as tree depth, header node, map nodes, node size, node counts, node links, indexes and more have been repaired.
• 1 File had to be recovered. The File may have been lost or thrown away. You must inspect the File to determine the extent of any damage. You must also determine whether the File should be discarded.
• 4 Files had a directory entry with an incorrect alias flag that was repaired.
• 1 File had a duplicate ID that was repaired.
• 1 File had a directory entry with an incorrect text encoding value that was repaired.
• 4,226 files occupy portions of the disk already occupied by another file. The files will be relocated to unique portions of the disk after replacing the directory. You must inspect these files to determine which of them had been overwritten and damaged. The detailed view of this report lists the files that overlap.
• 3,107 Files had an incorrect allocated size that was repaired.
• 3,107 Files had an incorrect actual size that was repaired.
• 1 File had an incorrect BSD Type that was repaired.
• 1 File had an incorrect key that was repaired.
• 69 missing Folders had to be recreated.
• 1 File/Folder had an incorrect record type that was repaired.
• 129 Folders had an incorrect item count that was repaired.
• 35 Folders had a directory entry with an incorrect text encoding value that was repaired.
• 9 Files/Folders had to be moved to the "Rescued Items" folder.
• Incorrect values in the Volume Information were repaired.
• Critical values in the Volume Information were incorrect and were repaired.
• 1 File had an incorrect allocated size that was repaired for backup from the Preview disk.
In the meantime, I have decided to erase the volume and restore a backup. However, I am interested to learn what might have happened to make the volume unmountable as this volume contained important data. The first time I noticed there was a problem was when Carbon Copy Cloner (which I use for backing up) started reporting errors reading the volume. I rebooted sometime later and the volume never mounted again.
I really do not know. Its possible we have a bug when licenses expire, and then the user actives SoftRAID again. It should be impossible, but it appears what you describe, timing wise. We are changing activation methods with 6.0, so I cannot investigate this with 5.x, but will ensure adequate testing is done with 6.0 on this kind of scenario.
Thanks for your time!