Notifications
Clear all

Mac mini 2018 with USB3.x disks

(@heathy65)
Active Member Customer

Hello all.

I have a Mac mini 2018 and need a small/simple RAID1 setup. This will be a low usage system as a redundant storage for my important stuff.

My thinking, to keep it simple, cheap and having a small footprint is to use SoftRAID with a couple of USB3.x (permanently) connected WD Passport Ultra 4TB external drives configured in a RAID1 mirror.

I'm just wondering whether this is a good idea and whether anyone else has done similar.

Topic starter Posted : 02/10/2019 6:52 am
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

RAID 1 will work fine with Mirroring. Make sure the SMART USB drivers are active, most passports support it. (there were some models I have run into that hung when SMART was queried. - don't have the model specifics, sorry)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/10/2019 7:41 am
(@heathy65)
Active Member Customer

Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate it.

One other thing I was thinking, since the drive I'm looking at ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LQQH86A) has hardware encryption.

Would this still work. I already have a similar single drive and the encryption is built in to the device and prompts you for a password when it's plugged in. There's also an option for it to automatically unlock when being inserted into a specific machine.

My hope is that if I get a pair of these and set the encryption then this will still work fine "below" the SoftRAID application which will still function "on top".

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/10/2019 9:26 am
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

I really do not know, but believe it will work. Give it a try. SoftRAID has a 30 day full functioning trial period.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/10/2019 10:00 am
(@heathy65)
Active Member Customer

I really do not know, but believe it will work. Give it a try. SoftRAID has a 30 day full functioning trial period.

Will do, I will report back.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/10/2019 10:06 am
Share:
close
open