Notifications
Clear all

Solution for a MAC MINI 2020?

26 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@spyro70)
Topic starter

Hi, I set the mirror time out to 2 minutes, but I always get the same error.
It is not a big problem for me to see the error window because then SoftRaid finds the disk regularly. However, I would just like to know if this continuous error at power on can ruin the disks and thus cause data loss.

Another question: I tried to test the speed of the disks with the Black Magic speed test, but the application tells me that it can't write to disks. Is there a temporary way to unlock this protection so that I do speed tests?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Posted : 09/11/2020 2:34 am
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

It does not damage the hardware for this to happen, but it should not be occurring with a 2 minute time out. The drive must be slow to power up, are you turning it on before starting the computer, or is it bus powered? Does the enclsoure also come with a power cord if so?

Use "get info" on your SoftRAID volume and "ignore ownerships on this volume", should fix the test issue.

You get more consistent results with AJA System test (free on app store), however, with:

Resolution: 5K

Codec: RGBA

File Size 64GB

Posted : 09/11/2020 11:21 am
(@spyro70)
Topic starter

It's incredible! I Used "get info" on my SoftRAID volume and "ignore ownerships on this volume". It do not fix the test issue.
How is possible that? Maybe an installation problem
?!

Anyway I test speed of my disks. Here the results...

again problem
speed

Posted : 10/11/2020 8:05 am
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

Its an ownership/permissions issue, I would guess. SoftRAID's driver does not talk to the files or file system, that is all macOS.

Attach a SoftRAID tech support file and I can check your basic system. Performance seems slow, but I don't know what you really have.

Posted : 10/11/2020 4:46 pm
(@spyro70)
Topic starter

Thank you for your support! This is a priceless service for a software like this and as soon as I buy an external Thunderbolt case I will upgrade to the major version of Softraid because I want to reward your continued presence in helping its users.

I have attached a screenshot of the permissions. Do you see something strange?
I also attached the technical report.

Thanks

Posted : 11/11/2020 11:50 am
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

Mot of the time, there are just three entries:

Admin user
Staff
Everyone

I am not sure why you have two admin users, but maybe you do and the names are not reflected in the get info box.

Everyone can be read only, but staff and user should be read & write.

So try setting staff to read/write. Then in the gear, "apply to enclosed items".

Lets see if that fixes this, I think it will.

Posted : 11/11/2020 12:10 pm
(@spyro70)
Topic starter

I tried your suggestions, but I am not able to solve them.

The warning always comes out when I turn the device on the first time. I tried both turning on the external box before turning on the Mac, and I tried afterwards, but the result is always the same.

Actually I set the time to 1 minute. But nothing.

Do you think that changing the external box can improve the situation?

At the moment I get a FANTEC, but could I take a Terramaster 3.1 and see how it goes? What do you think?

I know that this situation doesn't imply malfunctioning, but the fact that every time I turn on this warning comes out gives me the idea of an unstable system...

Posted : 16/11/2020 2:54 am
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

Question: this may be a user error, not a hardware error. When you run softRAID, it displays a missing secondary disk ,but has two disks in the mirror. SoftRAID supports up to 16 disks in a mirror, but will alert you if any are missing. If you only have two total disks, then use the command "remove missing secondary disk" and it will reset the counter.

Posted : 16/11/2020 9:36 pm
(@spyro70)
Topic starter

Ok, I could do it, but I get this warning. Can I continue without problems or is there something that I forget?
Thanks

screenshot

Posted : 20/11/2020 5:51 am
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

This is a counter. If there are no off site disks, this is what you want to do. It resets the counter to only look for the attached disks in your volume.

Posted : 20/11/2020 10:59 am
(@spyro70)
Topic starter

Alleluia! I solve it! Thank you very much!

Posted : 20/11/2020 1:19 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:
close
open