Running SoftRaid on...

Notifications
Clear all

Running SoftRaid on Apple Silicon (M1) Macs including 2020 Mac Mini with M1

Page 11 / 13
(@theoracle)
Posted by: @yangster888

@softraid-support I updated to 11.2 before seeing this post.  I never created a snapshot nor do I use time machine for backup.  How do I go back to 11.1?  Can you provide a link to the instruction? https://eshop.macsales.com/blog/56681-working-with-macos-snapshots/ this is the one I found via goole.  thanks

Here's a solution to anyone need to downgrade back to 11.2 like I did after failing to verify that 11.2 was not in compliance with SoftRAID drivers on the M1 🤬

Unfortunately, I didn't have TimeMachine running at the time so no snapshots for me 😔 

Note: The new M1 MAC don't work like previous Intel generations for restoring operation systems.

I just want to disclose that I didn't develop this solution but followed YouTuber Mr. Macintosh solution as it worked for me perfectly !

I was able to revert back to 11.1 from 11.2 using this procedure. (until SoftRAID can function with future M1 MAC Big Sur updates).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKxNSKxbXdE

Here's the overview on how it is done:

You will need 2 MACs to do this procedure: M1 + (M1/or non-M1)

1) Download the required IPSW Firmware macOS version from here. https://mrmacintosh.com/apple-silicon-m1-full-macos-restore-ipsw-firmware-files-database/  on your non-M1 MAC.

2) Download  Configurator 2 from here:  https://apps.apple.com/us/app/apple-configurator-2/id1037126344?mt=12

3) Install  Configurator 2 on the non-M1 MAC and launch.

4) Connect your turned off MAC M1 to a recent MAC running the latest software (I did with with latest update to Catalina) using a USB cable. I used a USB-C to USB-A.

5) Once both MAC's are connected via USB and  Configurator 2 is running from the non-M1 MAC, enter the DFU mode on the MAC M1 (watch attached YouTube video on how to do this) ... timing is everything !  ... and involves holding down several keys simultaneously for 10-18 seconds on the MAC M1 until "DFU" appears on the  Configurator 2.

6) Once you have entered DFU mode which will be indicated on the  Configurator 2 software, simply drag your download IPSW firmware MAC version into the dashed box with "DFU" ... do a RESTORE and the downloaded macOS firmware will then start to install into your M1 and should only take about 15-30 minutes to complete.

-TheOracle

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/02/2021 9:43 pm
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

Problem with this method (I am trying it now) is "restore" wipes all data on the internal drive. So you have to be able to use Migration assistant afterwards. I tried "revive", which keeps the system, but it cannot go to an older OS.

But it is legit, as it uses the Configurator app from Apple and all Apple downloads.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/02/2021 10:56 pm
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

An idea that was suggested to me for those interesting in the MrMacintosh way to go back to 11.1.

Backup with Time machine (or Carbon Copy Cloner), restore the 11.1 OS, which is a clean install, and then use a selected Time Machine or CCC restore.

One can also do this trick:

Backup your system to a DMG file with CCC.

Restore to 11.1 using the MrMacintosh method.

Create a new volume on your computer

Restore the DMG to the new volume. Now you have your current 11.2 install, as it was, PLUS an 11.1 volume.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/02/2021 1:12 pm
(@effndc)
Active Member Customer

@softraid-support I installed macOS 11.3 Beta (20E5172i) (public beta 1), but the problem still occurs with 6.0.1 b48.  The device will not mount, am guessing that macOS is still blocking the driver.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/02/2021 2:50 pm
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

@effndc

Wait until the next beta. I expect it will be fixed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/02/2021 6:27 pm
(@yangster888)

upgraded to 11.3 public beta and 4m2 still won't mount.  anyone tried 11.3 yet?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/02/2021 5:29 pm
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

Users who ran the 11.3 beta 20E5172i have confirmed this first 11.3 beta does not have the fix. there probably will be another beta very soon, we hope that has the fix.

Anyone who wants notification, sign up for "Critical Announcements" here:

https://www.softraid.com/news/softraid-news/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/02/2021 8:05 pm
 dimi
(@dimi)

Has anyone given 11.2.1 a try to see if the fix magically made it in?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/02/2021 1:20 pm
(@traveler)

@dimi I updated to 11.2.1 and the volume will still not mount.

Generally, is there any basic timeline for resolving this and providing an official release of SoftRAID (17 days of the Beta version left)?  I have an M1 Mac and ThunderBay sitting off until there's a stable and released driver.  I bought all of this back in November expecting it to be a fairly incremental software upgrade that wouldn't have us this far into 2021.  I totally get there can be issues, but curious on expectations for getting up and running.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2021 8:23 am
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

@traveler

the next SoftRAID beta will be any day now,we are testing one for release soon.

When Apple releases 11.3 is up to Apple, we have no information. the next beta of 11.3 hopefully has the fix in it, but I don't know if it will be later this week, or next Tuesday, the most common release date for beta versions.

I know the M1 is new hardware, designed to work the same as intel, but clearly, based on this 11.2 driver change alone, there is a lot going on under the hood that requires last minute changes. Apple makes driver model changes frequently, but inside of a release is very unusual.

there is no workaround available to us yet. (11.2.1 does not address this, BTW)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2021 12:55 pm
(@ben1257sb)

I spoke to an Apple Senior Advisor for nearly 3 hours on this subject. He basically crossed his arms and said "yep there's nothing we can do." I don't want to sound like a noob but can SoftRAID do something about this? Is there ANYTHING we can do? My employer is fumigating at me. They aren't buying my reason why I can't email them their files.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/02/2021 3:35 pm
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

Do you have any other computer you can connect your disks to? The volumes are not tied to the computer in any way.

Hopefully tomorrow, 11.3 will resolve this (the public beta).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/02/2021 4:16 pm
(@zathras)
Eminent Member Customer

@softraid-support

Waiting with baited breath. Did 11.3 beta work?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/02/2021 8:56 pm
(@traveler)

@zathras I just installed the latest 11.3 Beta and the volume shows up in SoftRAID app, but does not mount in the OS.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/02/2021 3:46 pm
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

@traveler

and to confirm:

You never saw the dialog box to "Allow OWC" as an identified developer?

And you checked that System Startup Security was set to allow third party applications?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/02/2021 4:08 pm
Page 11 / 13
Share:
close
open