Notifications
Clear all

Transferring RAID5 hard drives from Thunderbay 4 to 2010 Mac Pro-best practices??

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@mavots)
Topic starter

I am selling my iMac and transferred my existing RAID5 (4x 4TB HDDs) from a Thunderbay 4 to the internal drive bays of my 2010 Mac Pro 5,1.

I simply moved the disks over to the MP, got a trial version of SoftRAID Pro, updated the driver and the volume mounted!!
I expected to have to reformat everything and start over and clone everything back over from my backup drive.
I still want to do that. I am having some issues with the RAID5 volume mounting in Mojave while other USB3 drives are attached to the Mac Pro.

I am not sure of the steps to take to turn the disks into individual drives.

When I open SoftRAID 5.7.5, I see the RAID Volume and the four drives attached to it. How do I "de-RAID" the volume?? Do I "initialize" or "zero sector" each disk?

Please give me step by step on this (I know how to set the RAID back up). How to break up the drives into individual HFS+ drives so that I can start over.

Thanks!

Posted : 23/03/2019 7:24 pm
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

Best is just delete the volume. Then you can start over. If you want to use them as "apple format" disks, then also "Zero disk", and select 100 sectors. then Disk Utility can erase them.

Posted : 25/03/2019 1:55 am
Share:
close
open