Security Update 201...

Notifications
Clear all

Security Update 2018-002 10.3.6 Breaks Mirrored Boot?

(@midpen)
New Member Customer

Has anyone else succeeded in installing Security Update 2018-002 on 10.3.6 on a system booting from a SoftRAID mirror?

I know this functionality is going to be killed by Mojave, but did they just bring that upon us in High Sierra as well?

When I apply the update on my Mid-2010 Mac Pro, when the system reboots to install the update the progress indicator stalls very close to the start of the bar. After awhile I get left with the "null" (crossed out 0) symbol. To recover from this I had to remove the mirrored boot drives before I could the system to boot from an external drive (holding Option during boot did not work until the mirrored boot drives were removed). Then:

Boot from external drive
Explicitly set the external drive as the Startup Volume
Shutdown
Reconnect the mirrored drives
Boot from external drive
Set the Softraid mirror back to being the Startup Volume
Reboot into the Softraid mirror volume.

After this, my system is running again, but the Security Update is not installed.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

Topic starter Posted : 03/12/2018 3:54 pm
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

Yes, we have seen this. The workaround is to install the Security update onto an Apple disk clone of your system, then clone it back. (something like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! is useful for making the copy)

Then it will work fine.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/12/2018 4:29 pm
(@archiea)
New Member Customer

...and this is why I moved my system to and SSD and left softraid for non bootable volumes. Doing a clone, actually two if you count the round trip, just for a security updated? For the record, when I had the Caldigit raid card, I had the same problem.

I think an SSD to boot and then a raid for data is the best combo. Apple's support for raid is nonsense for anyone in production, Softraid is great in its certifying and upkeep of the raid drives. But booting? Having apple not playing nice with raid solutions means having a bootable raid is play with fire while you balance all of your eggs in one basket!

For this reason, I think softraid should caveat their claim of bootable raids because maintaining a consistent stability when you have another party (apple) lobbing these grenades in the form of security updates gives a false sense of stability.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/01/2019 9:14 pm
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

To your last point, we are in the midst of re-writing the SoftRAID web site, and the new version will make it clear that SoftRAID RAID volumes (under 10.14 in specific) are not bootable. This will not change with SoftRAID 6.

We were hoping we could find a solution with Apple, but that looks increasingly unlikely.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/01/2019 2:23 pm
Share:
close
open