Mac Pro 2019 Big Su...

Notifications
Clear all

Mac Pro 2019 Big Sur - SoftRAID v 6.0.1.b47 & 48 - Driver v 6.0.1.b47 & 48, b47 and b48 - Drives no longer Mount!!!!

15 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@logicbit)
Topic starter

Woke up this morning to find that my OWC Accelsior 4M2 4TB drive no longer mounts. No errors. Displays unmounted.

Trying to mount fails with no errors. So much for relying on this SSD for the storage of critical files.

I store all my work on these drives and only use the Mac Pro's SSD for the OS and applications.

Very concerning and frustrating. I need to find an alternative to OWC if this can't be resolved asap. Anyone else experience this lately? Should I delete all the extensions and try to remount. I don't want to make things worse or harder to debug.

Posted : 31/12/2020 12:53 pm
Topic Tags
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

Attach a SoftRAID Tech Support file. I can help more quickly then.

If you are running 6.0 beta, look to see if there is a "Disk Identifier on your volume, like disk5. Or if it only shows -. If the -, then the driver is not loading. DOwnload 6.0 b48 and reinstall/update the driver, approve OWC as an identified developer and it should be mounting.

otherwise, post a support file and I can look. I will be sporadically available today.

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by SoftRAID Support

Posted : 31/12/2020 5:11 pm
(@msneubauer)

I have exactly the same issue (drives will not mount) with exactly the same Softraid versions (b47 and b48). Note that when I downgrade to b43, the drives mount fine. This is a known issue by Softraid support with b47 but was supposed to be fixed in b48, but unfortunately it does not appear to be fixed.

Tech support log file attached.  

Posted : 31/12/2020 8:45 pm
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

You have a bunch of Samsung extensions. They were created before Big Sur, perhaps that is the cause.

Can you do two things:

Save your /Library/Extensions folder to a .DMG, and I would like to get it, we can test to see if we can replicate your problem.

After doing that, delete all the Samsung extensions (there may be newer ones, if you need them), then paste these command into terminal.app:

sudo kmutil clear-staging

followed by:

sudo kextcache -i /

restart

Then "reinstall SoftRAID driver" to your startup volume.

Does this work?

Posted : 31/12/2020 10:05 pm
(@msneubauer)

@softraid-support

Could you please clarify how to "delete all the Samsung extensions"? I don't see what you are referring to. 

.dmg and .zip are not allowed formats for attachment

This post was modified 3 years ago by msneubauer

Posted : 31/12/2020 10:19 pm
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

I will tell you how to get it to me.

Open the folder at /Library/Extensions. Just delete them. Then keep on with the steps.

Posted : 31/12/2020 11:44 pm
(@msneubauer)

@softraid-support

I did all of these steps and my disks still do not mount. 

Posted : 02/01/2021 3:18 pm
(@howdytom)

@msneubauer This seems like a command OWC Accelsior issue. I have read multiple issues regarding mounting with this PCI card. Get in touch with OWC for replacement. I am not sure about Big Sur support. I don't see and recommend macOS Big Sure for production systems, yet.

Thus, I have decided for Sonnet's M.2 4x4 PCIe Card (Silent) in MacPro 5,1. It has been best investment for a long time. It's running solid with SoftRAID 5.8.4.

Posted : 02/01/2021 4:37 pm
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

@msneubauer

Can you save your /Library/Extensions folder to a dmg? I want to test this. Let me know when you have it.

Posted : 02/01/2021 6:05 pm
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

Were you asked to "Allow" OWC as an identified developer?

Something is preventing mac OS from loading the SoftRAID driver into the "extensions cache". That is the root cause of this. I can't find the solution yet is the problem.

With beta 48, lets attempt one more try with this:

Uninstall SoftRAID from utilities menu.

Restart, run SoftRAID, and reinstall the driver. Does this help?

Posted : 02/01/2021 6:08 pm
(@msneubauer)

I do not recall being asked that during the installation. I guess I can try what you suggest.

In the meantime, are you aware of the following post from another SoftRAID developer?

https://srforums.wpengine.com/forum/postid/6151/

This seems like the core issue at least for something that is very similar to what I'm seeing (b43 work for me but b47 & b48 do not)

Posted : 02/01/2021 10:23 pm
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

beta 48 should work. (that was my post, I do all the forum support)

I think there is a different issue going on. We worked around the issue causing the driver not to load, and b48 ought to be OK. I can try researching this more, but I see no reason for there to be a difference.

Try a "uninstall SoftRAID" from utilities menu. Then run SoftRAID again. there ought to be a dialog box asking you to go to System Preferences, or "OK". OK is totally the wrong answer! Go to System Prefs/Security, and allow OWC. That box should pop up.

Posted : 02/01/2021 10:55 pm
(@msneubauer)

@softraid-support

Ok, this seemed to work (driver loads, drives mount under b48) after allowing OWC in Security & Privacy, although no dialog came up for Systems Preferences during the installation. I can see this causing confusion for others as it did for me, so maybe you could work with Apple to make this more apparent. 

Posted : 03/01/2021 9:08 pm
(@talyz)

Hi Guys, 

I'm struggling get our disk mounting. It work perfectly till we entered a serial number. I worked with Catalina, but I cleaned install Big-sur, run b48 but I still can't mount. I approve all the setting and security, including full disk access. Here is the driver list install

Avigails-iMac ~ %  ls -als /Library/Extensions                        

total 0

0 drwxr-xr-x  10 root  wheel   320 Jan 19 01:37 .

0 drwxr-xr-x  64 root  wheel  2048 Jan 19 00:37 ..

0 drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel    96 Jan  1  2020 HighPointIOP.kext

0 drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel    96 Jan  1  2020 HighPointRR.kext

0 drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel    96 Jan 19 01:37 OWC_SATA_Command.kext

0 drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel    96 Jan 19 01:37 OWC_SCSI_Device.kext

0 drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel    96 Jan 19 01:37 OWC_SCSI_Device_0E.kext

0 drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel    96 Jan 19 01:37 OWC_SMART_Library.plugin

0 drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel    96 Sep 25 13:44 SiLabsUSBDriver64.kext

0 drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel    96 Jan 19 01:37 SoftRAID.kext

I tried to reinstall soft raid, and the drivers many times, and also reverting to b43, but no matter what I do, the disk is not mounting. 

Please help, we are trying to figure it out for 2 days. 

Thanks, 

Posted : 19/01/2021 5:02 am
(@softraid-support)
Member Admin

@talyz

This is not a driver issue, the driver is loading. Note that the volume has a disk identifier of disk7. That means SoftRAID published it.

It appears that when MacOS attempted to auto repair some directory damage it failed and left the volume unmountable.

Do you have access to Disk Warrior? DW is the best tool for rebuilding directories.

Posted : 19/01/2021 11:52 am
Share:
close
open